Tuesday, July 17, 2012

OCD in my ole age, the ramblings of a woman on a cleaning binge!

I do NOT want to make fun or light of the condition of OCD but I am serious with the fact that I think I have developed it in my ole age!  No I do not have to do or say things a certain number of times my condition has manifested itself in the form of CLEANING! Yep, that's right - cleaning!  Now some would say that this was a Good thing - my mother would be one of those for sure - and I will have to say that my house really DID need a cleaning! 

There is an old saying "Give it a Lick and a Promise" which basically means you just do the "highlights" and plan to get back to do a good job - well in the area of cleaning house I haven't even Promised my house much less given it a Lick! for SEVERAL months.  Now in my defense, I work FOUR jobs - one full time and three part-time, I am home an average of one weekend day a week and two evenings a week (I could make it three but I go play 42 on Thursday evenings - sue me!  I need the brain break and the laughter that comes at my 42 group!) so I am not home often and when I am - well I am usually working on one or two of my part-time jobs and if not I am trying to relax.  Top all this off with the fact that I spent the better part of May and the first week of June getting ready for the WTAMU Summer Engineering Camp and THEN I spent a week in the dorms during camp...........let's face it my house was BAD!

Okay, on to the OCD part of this............either it's OCD or I am pregnant and going through the nesting phase................a couple of weeks ago I decided that this was IT I had to get some cleaning done and I was going to be very strict with myself and get it done right.  Well you guessed it, to put it in my Daddy's words - I "half-assed it"!  Not that I didn't get some done, I just didn't get it done like it needed to be.  Finally on Sunday a week ago I pulled out the big guns and turned on the tv!  Now how does that help me get my house cleaned your asking yourself, well it's not the tv being on - it is what I watch on the tv that does the job!  I have a DVR and the DVR is set to record several shows, one of which is http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/hoarding-buried-alive , I can start watching an episode and before you know it I am up cleaning, dusting, and putting things away.  Well I think I over-dosed on Horders (I had sixteen episodes recorded), I ran them all day and I cleaned into the night.

This would have been a good thing but I didn't stop, even when I was tired I didn't stop that day!  I came home for lunch on Monday and followed the instructions (I found them on Pinterest) to clean my washing machine!  I left my day job at 5pm, drove to Amarillo for one of my part time jobs, got home at 10pm, and followed the instructions to clean my dishwasher!  Tuesday the same thing, I was cleaning cracks and corners before work, at lunch, then after work I shampooed the carpets!  I actually ended up shampooing them twice Tuesday night, they never looked good to me and after watching several You Tube videos I ended up doing them a third time on Thursday!  Btw for the record there is a little screen thingy on a Kirby Cleaning system that makes it work a TON better if it is placed properly!

I have cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned!  I did take a few days break when I went to the family reunion in Albuquerque, New Mexico (Friday - Sunday) BUT I did some cleaning on Friday morning before I left!  On Sunday we got to the house about 4pm, unloaded and then I followed my mom to Pampa to get my dog (Ollie), I turned around and drove back to Canyon.........I got everything unpacked, put away, and started laundry...........the affliction continued and at Midnight, in my pajama's, I was cleaning light switches and the areas around them!

This is GOT to STOP!  I am tired! But...........did I mention the garage really needs a good cleaning? And this morning I noticed a stain on the patio...........I could probably find a good cleaner on Pinterest............

No comments:

Post a Comment