Saturday, September 21, 2013

When Walls, Objects, and People Talk


If Walls Could Talk..............ever say that to yourself? I know I have, only today I thought about it in a new way and the walls actually did talk to me, as well as items and people.

I decided to take in a garage sale or two today, it is one of my favorite ways to find new treasures and face it – this is one form of retail therapy that doesn't break the pocket book.

One of my first “finds” was an awesome little table that was priced for $10 but before I could even ask the woman said she would take $5 for it since it needed some work. I snapped up the bargain and looked around some more. While I shopped she told the other woman helping her all about the fact that it was her grandmothers table but it was time to let go, besides she had another table of granny's that she was going to use as an art table and that was a good way to remember her.  I still can't decide if she was trying to justify selling her grandmothers table to herself or to the woman helping with the sale.

I made a few more sales then I found a street with two sales! At the first sale I overheard another customer trying to dicker on an item. The woman holding the sale was adamant on her price, to the point that she said she would take it back inside before she went any lower. I stopped at the next sale, there was a really nice wooden wine rack that I liked. 



Now let me say the fact that I really didn't need a wine rack, lol, I already have one and I am not exactly a wine collector. 
Although I am getting a nice collection of Vintage Denim wines thanks to the fact that a friend of mine, Jean Stuntz, is making her own wine. I am digressing, I looked at the rack for a minute, it had a price tag of $15 on it. I couldn't resist asking if they would take $10.............WOW! All four working the sale said YES! Lol, then the lady who owned it started talking about the fact that she did NOT want to have to take it back home and how delighted she was that it was SOLD!

Oh I have to mentioned that be this time I had realized that ALMOST EVERY sale I had stopped at, there were people complaining about the new Apple update on their phones and trying to help each other figure out all of the new features?

A few minutes later I found another sale...........this sale will probably stay with me for a long time. I bet there were 10 women taken money and making deals at this sale. It didn't take long to find out that the sale was to help with the upcoming funeral expenses of the homes owner. One of the women was the daughter and she told another woman that the only thing she was taking home on the plane with her was her mama's bible and her ashes.

It was in the house that I was hit the hardest. Most of the kitchen items were well used and not of good quality but the furniture inside the house............well it was of the highest quality and very large scaled. In fact the furniture was of the size it should have been rooms two or three times the size it was in with 9 or 10 foot ceilings. I knew that this woman at some time had been forced to downsize from a very large home. I had been told when I went in to PLEASE not open any closed doors, I passed a bedroom with the door closed and a signed taped on in that said “Do Not Disturb – Sleeping”. Out side I learned that Mom is still alive and was napping, apparently she is not expected to be here much longer. My heart hurt for the woman in that room, spending her last days in bed while the physical things of her life went out the door. I imagined that she had been strong before when she moved to her smaller home, but I really hope she had no idea what was happening in her garage and house this time.

"Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens"

I found the chicken painting and saying in her kitchen...........I loved them both. My granny used to say that “children are like chickens, when they are little they walk all over your feet and when they are grown they walk all over your heart”.

I still had a lot of time in the day, but I decided to call it a day …....... I just couldn't stop thinking about chickens, and children, and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment