Saturday, September 8, 2012

Bra Fitting..............Cont.


Back to the world of Bra Fitting and all of the surprises that it brings!

I promised you “highs” and I will deliver but note there is one that will have you shaking your head, lol, and another that will make you want to hurt someone!

Many, many times I do bra fittings on customers who have brought family or friends along to help...............sometimes that is a good thing.............and sometimes it is NOT! Sometimes it makes for a “funny” and other times I have just wanted to SLAP the “helper”!




FUNNY:

I looked up one evening as a woman and two men came into the department...........to make a long story short.............she was a waitress at the two men's favorite diner, she had worn nothing but a sports bra for thirty years and the two men (yes they were a couple) had convinced her it was time for her to get a REAL bra! The “expert helper” had done Drag Shows for many years so he had a LOT of advice on the style of bra that she needed and how it should fit...................we did agree somewhat on fit but style was a different matter! He was firmly convinced that because of her size that she needed a Wire Bra for support, I did agree but I kept arguing that she should go first with a Wire Free! My stance was that after 30 years in a Sports Bra she would feel like she had been encased in an Iron Maiden after an hour or two in a Wire Bra. Sadly he won the fight and the woman purchased TWO Wire Bras.............my money is on the fact that she is probably back in her “Comfy” Sports Bra now!



SLAP:

I had a 16 year old in with her Mom, I got the daughter measured and we began trying on bras. The young lady was choosing bras that were cute but ones that actually FIT and gave her SUPPORT! The Mom kept bringing in Demi and Push Up bras for her to try on. Finally she came in with another “batch” and the daughter (who looked like she was about to cry) said........................

“Mom, I don't like these, I feel like I am going to fall out of them..........I want something that actually holds me in”

The Mom grabbed her shoulders and literally YELLED in her face..................”YOU are NEVER going to get a man if you keep covering those up! You have NOTHING going for you and if you have any hope of finding a guy to take you your going to have to put those things out there so that they WANT THEM enough to put up with you!”

OMG...........sometimes I SO WISH it was legal to BEAT a customer! The poor young thing left with three “put them out there” bras and tears running down her face.

FEEL GOOD:

Many people, particularly men, may not believe it but there are bra fittings that can make you feel good about yourself and the very fact that you were there to do that job. The one I remember most happened several years ago, and I still get that “feel good” feeling every time I think about it!

I was working the evening shift and about 6pm I had an older lady come in to the department. She was in a wheelchair, shoulders slumped over and head down...........no trace in the world of any happiness on her face or body. With her were two women who seemed almost as sad as she was, I found out later one was her daughter and the other a granddaughter. They had come in to get her a new bra, I could tell quickly that SHE did NOT want to be there.

I talked to her, measured her, and we began the hunt! During the fitting I found out that the woman had had a mastectomy a year before and with the exception visits to the doctor (which was why they were in Amarillo that day) she had not left the house in the past year. Her self imposed seclusion was to such an extent that after they left the store they were going to a drive up to get food to go because she refused to go into a restaurant. Okay insert some tears here because I was wanting to cry at the time!

We tried just a few bras before I hit on the MAGIC one! It was the Playtex Cool Lace bra, and it even had a liner in it that she could insert her prostheses! WhooHoo! 


 I could go into more details, but instead I will end this tale with the facts –

When checking out – the sad, dejected, slumped over woman who had come in less than an hour before.........................................was setting up straight, smiling, and laughing! Her attitude was reflected back in her daughter and granddaughter, they were laughing and joking as well!

As I was sacking her purchases she turned to her daughter and said “do you really want to eat in the car? I would like to go in somewhere and eat!” The daughter quickly agreed and they turned to leave, discussing as they went what restaurant they would try............

They had gotten to the aisle when the daughter came back and gave me a HUG.........she whispered “Thank You, I believe you just gave me my mom back”........time to cry again! I often think of this woman, I hope she still has that smile on her face and that she is still getting out of the house.

Well I have been doing Bra Fittings for seven years now and OH the stories I could tell, lol, but I will save those for another day!

2 comments:

  1. What you do, Rhonda, is a gift from God. Truly. To give someone hope. To get a smile. I, too, would love to find the motehr who belittled her daughter. But you DO GOOD! At the end of the day, you make a difference. Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It is the "good" ones that keep me coming back! I have countless stories of women who left with smiles and a "spring in their step:" after we found a bra that REALLY fit them! But this lady has been one that has always touched my heart and made me feel good inside.

    ReplyDelete