Monday, September 10, 2012

Scary Thoughts......Shudder.......... Christmas is Coming!

NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



There are only 105 shopping days until Christmas!
(I linked a "shopping days" clock for you if you want to keep up with it) 


That's right folks, the clock is ticking!  How many present have you purchased and stashed away?  Going for the home made Christmas this year?  Just how many of those have you finished?  How many have you even started?

Well if your like me the answer at this time of the year is USUALLY - None, None, and more None!  **BIG sigh** There is not a self motivated bone in my body!  I am a TOTAL procrastinator!  As my mother says, I will probably be late to my OWN funeral!

That being said, I do USUALLY have a clue what I am going to buy for at least one person and occasionally I have an idea where I am going to get it!  This year I consider myself leaps and bounds ahead of the shopping game because I ACTUALLY have one present bought!  The only problem I will face down the road is remembering where I stashed it!  Hey, it's a family tradition!  My mom once stashed a present so well it was three YEARS before we came across it!

I also do a lot of home made gifts but they DO have to wait, I make millionaire candy and I promise nobody would want it if I made it now! lol, I do put it in the freezer but I prefer to make it closer to time so that I can be sure that the nuts are still good.

Right now I am sure you are ready to string me up for bringing thoughts of Christmas shopping to your head...............but I do have an excuse............I work part time in retail and last night I had a customer purchase SEVERAL sets of pj's and she wanted Gift Receipts so that they could exchange them if necessary..........................**banging head on keyboard**...............this is a PROBLEM for not only the gift recipient but also the store!  Christmas may be ONLY 105 days away but in that time one thing is almost certain to happen................................we are probably going to put THOSE pj's on clearance and in 105 days if we even have any left it is probably NOT going to be the size they want.

Now I TOTALLY understand the need and desire to shop early.............I too hate the crowds and with my budget I REALLY NEED to space my shopping out.  But if your need is to space out your purchases I STRONGLY suggest GIFT CARDS!

There are some that argue Gift Cards are an impersonal gift and I can see their point............BUT..............I also strongly believe that the CHOICE of an appropriate Gift Card can be a VERY PERSONAL gift!  How so?  Well if the gift giver really knows the person they know what they like, love, and want!

One of my FAVOURITE gifts last Christmas?  Well a Gift Card for Amazon! (yes you can click on it the link and get your gift cards now..............especially if I am on your gift list....hint...hint)




 Yeah Boy! My daughter-in-law made my day!  Can you say Kindle downloads?
If you order from Amazon you can get the cards as low as $10 (They have a ton of books for .99 and 1.99) or all the way up to $2,000!

If you are considering giving someone a Kindle this Christmas you can do that, but you might want to include a Gift Card.........there are lots of "extras" they might want and ones that they SHOULD have..........like a screen protector, a case, etc.

One thing to note, if you do choose to purchase Gift Cards..........be SURE of a few things:

1)  The gift recipient actually does use that store/product.  (I got a gift card once for Pet Smart..........only problem was that at that time I did NOT have a pet!)

2) Check on how long the card is valid and if they start charging any fees (deductions from the card) after a certain period of time. (I have had frustrated people at my register because after calling we found out they had far less money on their card due to these "time" fees)

3)  Be sure they have access to that particular store.  (I have a friend who got a very nice Gift Card to Macy's............only problem for her was that she lives FIVE hours away from the nearest Macy's!  Online shopping options do help with this but you need to be sure they have that option also!)

4)  If the Gift Card amount is NOT printed on the front, either include the receipt or be sure to write it on the card with a Sharpie.  (Nothing more embarrassing then having to ask "how much is it"!)

5) Refer to number 4!  I strongly suggest that you include the receipt!  Most places offer a gift receipt that you can use, if not HANG ON to your purchase receipt.  This is especially important if you purchase the Gift Card from a kiosk that has cards from many different company's.  (seriously folks, I purchased one a few years back for a gift and the checker FORGOT to activate it!  Thank goodness I still had the receipt or else I would have given the person a $25 piece of worthless plastic!..............well they could have made guitar pick out of it............but I don't think they play the guitar)

(The picture is pretty self explanatory but if you need a little more detail on these instructions you can visit femmefrugality )

Now I didn't mean to make this all about Amazon, but rather to illustrate a point.  If you are buying Christmas FOUR months in advance Gift Cards can be great and a personal option for you!  No need for a return and it always fits!...........................................and if they DO play the guitar..........they can always make pick out of the cards when they are done!

No comments:

Post a Comment