Friday, September 14, 2012

Learning Curve and a Fried Brain

Over the past four years I have come a LONG way when it comes to learning about technological things and in particular my knowledge of computers and software/application usage.


I fondly remember going to the Tri-State Fair when I was in high school, one "booth" I visited every year was the one where they analysed your signature.  Your wrote your name on a card, paid a dollar, and they fed it through the computer.  In all truth, I did not care what the machine said about my personality, I just wanted to watch the machine shuffle through the cards and all the lights!  The machine no longer makes an appearance at the fair.........guess it doesn't fascinate people any more, or maybe they just can't buy parts for it.

34 years ago I trekked off to college at West Texas A&M University, bright eyed and filled with anticipation.  Until that time I have NEVER seen in person any type of computer besides the "card" one at the fair.  At college I met people talking about computers (still a pretty limited number) and I remember going the Kilgore building and seeing a room FULL of reel to reel machines that I was told were part of the University's computer system.


It has been just over 10 years ago that I got my first computer, and Boy have I come a LONG way!  Or at least I thought I had until these past few weeks!  After recently upgrading to a Linux system the race has been ON!  lol, I am not sure what Place I am in now but I know that I am miles from where I was six months ago!

Just a few weeks ago I started Blogging and I went from one Blog to FOUR!  Well heck, they all needed Facebook pages too.......but that was easy enough, Facebook I know - or so I thought.  Enter Ad Sense, hey it cost nothing, they post ads on your pages and IF someone buys from that ad, you get a fee........btw, I have made nothing yet but who knows.

In one of my rambling thoughtful moments I remembered that there were ways to make money as an "affiliate" for companies and posting their items on your pages...........BAM!  I became an Amazon Affiliate!  Oh, I needed a web page! (I did spend a little money, under $20, on this because I KNEW that building a web page was more than I wanted to tackle!).  Web page now up and running - Texas Treasures and Jewels , it is still a work in progress but I am learning more daily.  Did I mention I also signed up for a 30 day course on Marketing on the Internet?  More fried brain cells but dang I have learned a LOT!

I also added an Amazon aStore - Texas Treasures and Jewels, to my list!  It allows me to offer many, many more books and items than I can put on the website!

To date I have not made enough as an Amazon Associate to buy a hamburger but it is still EARLY, and remember it didn't cost me anything but time and a few brain cells.  Still working on getting to be an Abe Book and an Audible Associate but I might need a nap before I continue with that!

Remember when I said that I "knew" Facebook, lol, well I have learned a LOT more!  Just got it figured out how to link Facebook and Blog pages.........well almost figured out, I can't get this blog linked to my personal page but I am waiting for a "reply" on that problem.

The moral of this story is twofold............ 1) If I seem to stammer and stutter and appear confused, bear with me - remember the fried brain cells?


2)  Smoke signals and chiselling words in stone used to be more my style, and if I can do it - YOU CAN TOO!


No comments:

Post a Comment