Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Rant against the evil, puss-covered, slimy Trolls that invent viruses!


Evil, Slimy, Puss-Covered, …...........the list goes on for the names I could give those that create viruses!

On the other end of the spectrum are the Knight's in Shining Armor! Lol, only mine don't wear armor, one of them wears tennis shoes or flip flops, the other cowboy boots; one is former military and served in Afghanistan and the other raises and shows cattle on the college level; one is married with the cutest little baby on earth (well at least until my grandson comes along, lol) and one is single with a girlfriend that I know has to be awesome cause he is dating her. They both carry laptops but you can forget the stereotype of glasses patched with tape and snorting when they laugh..........btw, one does have glasses but he would probably use Duct Tape if he had to patch them. They are just all around good guys that don't laugh at little ole ladies like me and have the patience of Job when trying to explain computer things to me. Once in a while I have to say “stop!” - “I don't have a clue what you are talking about” or “do you really think I am EVER going to use that part of the program?”. Like any good teacher, they smile, pat my hand and go on. Vance Morris and Brett Dawson are just too cool in my books!

My story actually – probably - started months ago when my computer got “grabbed” and I spent a miserable time where Bing had a hold of my computer, like the flu a week before Christmas I didn't ask for Bing it just got me! Suddenly I could not search for any page because Bing would do the search and redirect me to strange and frustrating places...........I would have to do the search 5-6-7 or more times before it would finally get me to the page I wanted, even when I was typing in the exact addresses! It was like trying to get a straight answer about of a group of 12 year olds on “who broke the lamp”, only I couldn't smack or ground the “person” who put Bing on my computer! (I still wonder if it wasn't a certain 14 year old that lived at my house but for the record she denied it!)

I have spent four years at the West Texas A&M University Department of Engineering and Computer Science so I do know a few top brains when it comes to this computer stuff (yes they do laugh at me sometimes but they do it politely). I batted my eyes and begged and one of our top students (Vance Morris) came to my house, spent 3 hours and FINALLY got Bing off my computer! WhooHoo!

Well I was good for awhile, but then I started noticing my computer getting slower, and slower, and slower. At the start of the summer Bing didn't hit me again but another virus came to visit, my computer science hero's swooped in again to fix my troubled PC. They really are knights in shining armor! 

Fast forward a couple of months and BAM! The virus trolls got me again! By this time Brett Dawson had to step in because Vance is all the way in New York at the IBM headquarters for a summer internship, and although he tried to fix things via text message it worked better with him and Brett talking and Brett doing the work here. This time it was a four hour fix with a warning that it might not hold................they were so right, on Saturday of last week the evil Troll which calls himself “Platinum Security Shield" invaded and I was toast! :(.............For the record, if it gets you just turn your computer OFF, unplug everything, and find a technician cause it is GAME OVER for you!

Btw, also for the record these virus folks should really learn more about their victims! Seeing pictures of “Brittney” flashing her chest on my computer screen did nothing for me and NO I did NOT want to chat with her even if she was lonely!

Now I am up and running again, this time with the operating system called Linux, using Ubantu for my processing, along with FireFox and Google Chrome for my searching! I am told that this combo is what all the “in the know” computer science folks use because 1) it is a much higher level than Microsoft and 2) it is not an exe program so therefore none of the trolls write viruses for it!

Now some of you are saying – Whoa! I never heard of Linux much less Ubantu, that is going to limit what programs/software you can use! There is an answer! Lol, and kind of a fun answer! There is a piece of software called WINE! Yep, you heard me right it is called “Wine” and it is built so that you can run software built for Microsoft through it and it will convert it to Linux/Unbantu!  Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29 if you want more info about it.   I knew Wine was good for a lot of things but now they have taken it to a whole new level..............don't ask me if it is Red or White, they didn't tell me that one! :)

Time to get back to the Internet and searching for new heights! Oh wait, no..........time to load all of my pics and other things salvaged from my “old” system onto my Linux system.............THEN on to new heights! Ya'll have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Eck! I "miss typed" the system name! It is Ubuntu! Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rhonda, glad Brett was able to get you back up and running.

    As for your new-found respect for the *nix, I couldn't be more pleased.

    I'll list off a few programs you (and anyone else interested in really *using* their computers) might be interested in checking out.

    These are all 100% free by the way.

    ClamAV www.clamav.net
    - antivirus (linux is a bit more tough, but it can still get virii)

    LibreOffice www.libreoffice.org
    - full featured office suite compatible with Microsoft Office

    GIMP www.gimp.org
    - photoshop like image editing

    VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
    - plays any and every media file you own (and a ton of other things)

    Dropbox www.dropbox.com
    - synchronize your important files across any number of machines

    Wine www.winehq.org
    - One of my favorite recursive acronyms: WINE Is Not an Emulator

    TrueCrypt www.truecrypt.org
    - for the truly paranoid among us

    Gedit projects.gnome.org/gedit
    - (IMO) the best light-weight editor in gnome

    Best of luck, we'll want to hear more about your experiences with Ubuntu.

    And if you get tired of Ubuntu (I just did, go Fedora!), there's tons of other Linux distributions worth checking out.

    See www.distrowatch.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! What great info........I see more downloads in my future for sure! Brett did fix me up with "Wine" and "LibreOffice" but I am going to check out several of the others!

    ReplyDelete