Tuesday, October 1, 2013

No.........I am not doing anything right now


Yeah, right..............let me think about this.




..........yep, I can probably count on one hand how many times in the past year that I have been doing absolutely NOTHING when some asked me this question. The rest of the time I AM doing something and we are not counting answering the phone when you called!

I am always doing something partly because I am a human being with lots of options, partly because I bore easy of doing absolutely nothing, and partly because..........well let's face it – I work four jobs, I am a grandmother (Oma), and somewhere in there I try to squeeze out a tiny bit of “having a life”.



But you go ahead and ask me to do something that you certainly don't have time to do.........let's see what I can put on the back burner...........

  • Eating
  • Completing my work
  • Straining through a video to try and learn a feature on Word Press
  • Setting in on a conference call (yes I got your five text in five minutes, and like I said – I will call you!)
  • Reading an instruction book AGAIN because I am pretty sure it is written in Chinese even though the words appear to be English
  • Still working on the thing you asked me to do an hour ago
  • Numerous other “stuff” that fills my day

Whew, so glad I cleared my schedule because I know how important and time consuming it is for YOU to reply from a multi-addressee email and ask ME to send an email out to EVERYONE (that the original email went to)! 

 And oh yes, I certainly don't mind dropping any of the mind numbing things I was doing like eating lunch, doing the end of the month books, or constructing an ad for my new client.........to spend time looking up information for you! After all you are a VERY busy person, and although I gave you the same information six months ago you can't find it!

You want me to move that display over there and put the other display on the back wall? It's a three hour job and I am only here for another two hours........................

Yeah – Right!




I remember back when my kids were little and I was a stay at home mom. I always loved going to meetings or getting that phone call volunteering me to do something and they would throw in the lovely “you have time – you don't work”. Well chickadee I may not have had a 9-5 job outside the house but I also didn't have a baby sitter, an office with a desk, a maid that comes in once a week, OR a husband that gets home before me and cooks supper!


STOP! THINK!


Everybody these days is busy, we are all running around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to make ends meet and get through the day. I am a big advocate of “delegating” but I also know that we need to be reasonable in our requests and we certainly need to look at what the other person is doing.


STOP! THINK!




Don't be the straw that broke the camels back! You might just find yourself minus a valuable employee, committee member, or friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment