Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Energy and Power of - “How are you doing today?”





Since I haven't been living in a cave for 54 years it stands to reason that I have been out and about. And since my main business is sales I have probably been in more places of employment than a lot of people.

Whether I am “working” or just a consumer, I notice the energy of the business.............okay now you think I have lost it...............but think about it -

How do you feel when you walk in the door?

What is your impression of the place?

How do you feel when you walk out the door?

I have walked in places in a good mood and walked out the door in a blah mood …........... and it all goes back to the customer service that I received. I have literally been in stores where not a single employee spoke to me, including the person that checked me out!

Most checkers are trained (or at least SUPPOSED to be trained) to say either “Is that everything for you?” or “Did you find everything okay?” These phrases are pretty standard and sometimes that is all you get out of the person taking your money.............



But oh what a difference when they take the time to ENGAGE in a conversation...........when they take the time to say “How are you doing today?”!

“HOW ARE YOU DOING TODAY?”

Think about it...........that phrase isn't trying to sell you anything else, that phrase doesn't make them any more money, that phrase is PERSONAL! And when they take the time to LISTEN to your answer............look out!..............cause your day just got better!

I have a list, yes a list, of places I know that if my day is not going well or if I just need an “injection” of energy, that I can stop – spend a dollar or two – and walk out feeling great! All because the employees ask “How are you doing today?” or a similar question to ENGAGE me in conversation.

My top three are:

Chick-fil-A (I don't care which location it is, heck even the drive up people are awesome!)

Pak-A-Sak on Coulter

McDonald's on Coulter (I am going to have to add that I only stop by there in the evenings so I don't know about any other than the night crew)

If they EVER establish a checker/clerk training university then they so need to tap the managers of these places to be the professors...............then every place I go would be a shot of GREAT energy!



Now I also advocate returning the favor................and asking THEM how they are doing! In addition I have been known to look a sullen clerk in the eye and ask THEM “How are you doing today?”, and many times – by the time I have my money in my purse we have had a conversation and they have a smile on their face..........

and my day is just a little better.............

So.......................

“HOW ARE YOU DOING TODAY?”

No comments:

Post a Comment