Saturday, October 5, 2013

My Weekly Therapy Session


We are living in a day and age when it seems that just about everyone has some form of psychological “problem”, and a LOT of people take medication and a LOT of people see counselors or psychiatrists to help them with their problems. I am all for people seeking help when they believe that they need it, I think it makes their world and in part our world a better place.



While I have never been diagnosed with a psychological problem I must say that it doesn't make me any better than those that have. If actually probably means that I haven't been diagnosed because I have never gone to a counselor or psychiatrist to determine if I HAVE a problem!

Even “un-diagnosed” I still make time each week to attend my own special therapy session................I play 42 once a week with three great ladies! Now I am guessing you would find us a little bit of an eclectic group but we totally work together!



Norma is a corner stone of the group and also the elder of our bunch........lol, she is in her eighties but she runs rings around many 40 year olds that I know! She is a little hard to describe............she is kind of a cross between the Fruitcake Lady and the Where's the Beef lady. I am telling you – she calls it like it is and makes no bones about it! Part of the reason that she is so awesome!

Judy is Norma's niece, she raised her three kids on her own and has owned her own bail bond company for several years. Judy is also awesome, is quick on a comeback or a joke, and when a friend needs help she is the first to volunteer........heck sometimes she volunteers before you even knew you needed help! And I know she has the patience of a saint because she is STILL my partner and if you could see some of the hands I have bid on..............lol, well when I don't make it she just says "okay we will get them next time".

Dana and Judy have been friends since sixth grade.  As a non traditional student (aka she wasn't 22 for sure) Dana went to college and got her law degree. She had planned on making a fortune as a lawyer but while going to school she clerked at the local Legal Aid and decided she would rather spend her time helping people. She is now a lawyer at Legal Aid.

And then there is me! I got in the group because back in 2007 I sold Judy a sponsorship to the independent baseball team I worked for, we became friends and the rest is history on that. I do a lot of things but mainly my forte is sales and marketing.

We always start the evening with a meal, usually we pick a restaurant but sometimes one of us gets the urge to cook and we eat at the house we are playing at. After a great meal it is time to play! We always play three games of 42 and then we either play a game of Spades or Oh Hell.

To be honest the therapy is NOT about the meal or the games............it is about the company, the conversation, and the honesty.

We laugh – a LOT! We giggle, we jab at each other, we talk. Most of the time it is light hearted conversation, sometimes things turn serious when there is something serious going on in our lives. But when it is serious and you “lay it out there”............I am telling you a gal could not have a better team behind her! The group is a cheering section, a leg breaking if you need it squad, and a “will tell you if you are being stupid” crew............all rolled into one!

It doesn't matter how bad my day (or week) has gone............I leave the evening feeling light hearted and ready to tackle the world!

Recently I have added ANOTHER weekly therapy session, a coffee group on Friday mornings..........but I think that group is just going to lead me straight into trouble! Lol, but oh what fun that trouble is going to be! Good thing I know a lawyer and a bail bondsman! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment